Counseling for Parents With Postpartum Depression in Bozeman, MT
Postpartum depression is a very real and serious mental health concern. While this type of mood disorder most often affects new mothers during the first year after their baby’s birth, it can also affect fathers and adoptive parents. The causes are unknown.
Postpartum depression is treatable, and with proper treatment, a full recovery is likely. In most cases, a key component of treatment is counseling and therapy. At Bozeman Counseling Center, we have licensed therapists available who specialize in working with parents who are struggling with postpartum depression in the Bozeman, Montana, area.
More Than the “Baby Blues”
Like most parents, may naturally feel a bit anxious, stressed, cranky, weepy, and tired during the first few weeks after the arrival of a newborn. In addition to experiencing the “baby blues,” you may worry about being a good parent and wonder whether you are making the right choices for your baby and your family. Usually, these feelings are caused by fluctuating hormone levels and resolve on their own within a month, if not sooner.
However, if you start to feel overwhelmed by feelings of sadness, emptiness, worthlessness, or hopelessness—or if you have thoughts of harming your baby or yourself—you may have postpartum depression, which is much more serious. Other symptoms to watch for include:
- Feelings of indifference toward your baby
- Loss of interest in spending time with family members and friends
- Apathy toward hobbies and other activities you previously enjoyed
- Sleep problems, such as insomnia or oversleeping
- Panic attacks
- Severe mood swings
- Frequent bouts of crying
- Difficulty concentrating and making decisions
How We Can Help
A compassionate therapist at Bozeman Counseling Center can help you develop the skills you need to overcome your postpartum depression by:
- Educating you about the various mood disorders that are common among parents after the arrival of a child
- Teaching you coping strategies to help you better manage the many demands of parenthood
- Empowering you to identify and change your negative and self-defeating thought processes
- Helping you work through any other issues that could be contributing to your postpartum depression, such as childhood trauma, pre-existing mental health concerns, relationship problems, or career stress
- Helping you establish healthy lifestyle practices, such as eating a nutritious diet, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep
- Helping you develop the strong support system you need to maintain your healthy lifestyle
Postpartum depression is the most common side effect of childbirth, and it is nothing to be ashamed of. If you are struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out to Bozeman Counseling Center. We can help you successfully navigate this life transition so you can fully experience the excitement, bliss, and joy of parenthood.
Contact Bozeman Counseling Center today to schedule a complimentary and confidential consultation in Bozeman, MT.